Nurse Aide Requirements
Staying Active on the Registry – Must work as a nurse aide in a paid position within 24 months of last date of previous employment.
Requirements for Reactivation from Lapsed to Active Status
A nurse aide whose status is lapsed may reactivate his or her registration by retaking the written/oral and clinical exams.
- Retesting – contact one of these Post Secondary Education Providers approved to do re-competency testing.
- Completion of both the written and clinical exams may occur on the same day.
- It may take three weeks to update your records after successful completion of exams.
- Nurse aides who took a 30-hour nurse aide course prior to 1989 and were “grandfathered” onto the registry are not eligible to retest. The nurse aide is required to take the 75-Hour Nurse Aide Course.
- Cover letter asking to be placed on registry based on nursing school courses. The cover letter must include your name, address, phone number, social security number or I-94, and date of birth.
- A certified copy of your transcript or a letter signed by your instructor identifying the courses you have completed. Please check with your specific nursing program to determine if this has been done.
- If course grades in any of the required courses are less than 70 percent, documentation of successful completion of state approved written/oral and skills exams is required.
- Successful completion of Nebraska Abuse/Neglect/Misappropriation Training if not included in your nursing school courses.
Foreign Trained Nurses
- Cover letter asking to be placed on registry based on foreign nursing training. The cover letter must include your name, address, phone number, social security number or I-94, and date of birth.
- The “Credentials Evaluation Service Professional Report” from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools exam (CGFNS) for review of your nursing program in relation to nursing programs in the United States.
- Successful completion of Nebraska Abuse/Neglect/Misappropriation Training
- Successful completion of a state approved written/oral and skills exams.
- If it has been longer than 24 months since you were an active nurse, documentation of successful completion of the Nebraska approved skills and written/oral exams are required.
Inactive/Lapsed RN or LPN
- Cover letter asking to be placed on registry based on a lapsed/inactive LPN/RN license and indicating the last time you worked as a nurse. The cover letter must include your name, address, phone number, social security number or I-94, and date of birth.
- Successful completion of Nebraska Abuse/Neglect/Misappropriation Training – not required if previously on Nebraska Nurse Aide Registry
- If it has been longer than 24 months since having an active nurse license, documentation of successful completion of state approved written/oral and skills exams is required.
- Copy of inactive/lapsed license if license was from a state other than Nebraska.
License cards for nurse aides are not issued in Nebraska. You may search for your name on the registry, here. When your name comes up in the search results, click it. Then click the green button that says Generate Wallet Card to view or print your card.
|Nebraska CNA Training Schools||City||Phone Number|
|Good Samaritan Society-Auburn||Auburn||402-274-4954|
|Eastern Nebraska Veterans Home||Bellevue||402-595-2180|
|Boys Town High School||Boys Town||402-498-1858|
|Burwell High School||Burwell||308-346-4150|
|Central Community College||Columbus||402-562-1451|
|Avera Creighton Care Center||Creighton||402-358-5701|
|David Place||David City||402-367-3144|
|Jefferson Community Health & Life-Gardenside LTC||Fairbury||402-729-5220|
|Heritage Care Center||Fairbury||402-729-2289|
|Central Community College||Grand Island||308-398-7440|
|Golden Ours Convalescent Home||Grant||308-352-7305|
|Central Community College||Hastings||402-461-2441|
|Humboldt-Table Rock-Steinauer Public Schools||Humboldt||402-862-2151|
|Central Community College||Kearney||308-338-4000|
|Central Nebraska Veterans Home||Kearney||308-865-6000|
|Good Samaritan Society-Ravenna||Kearney||308-452-3230|
|Kimball County Manor||Kimball||308-235-4693|
|Central Community College||Lexington||308-324-5936|
|Bryan College of Health Sciences||Lincoln||402-481-3805|
|Nebraska Health Care Association||Lincoln||402-435-3551|